onsdag 11. februar 2015

WIP Wednesday #2: Finishing touches, knitting backwards and It's Starting To Look Like a Sweater!

Saturday I finally got to the point I had been waiting for on my Medalje sweater, namely joining the body and sleeves. Because I never learn, when this happens I always think "oh, this means it's soon finished!", but I quickly get back to reality; raglan decreases take a long time. When I had joined the sleeves to the body, I had roughly 400 stitches. Four hundred stitches. In stranded knitting. Oh boy...

With eight stitches decreased every other row it took me a while to get to an acceptable level of stitches. My sweater in size M/L has around 250 stitches in the body. I think that when it starts getting close to 300 stitches, it is too much. Did I mention stranded knitting all the way? I probably did. (By now, I know the pattern by heart, which is nice.)

With the help of Downton Abbey and Drop Dead Diva (I have somehow gotten quite invested in the latter!)  I managed to get to this point Monday evening:


medalj2

I put it on two circular needles, tried it on and posed in front of the bathroom mirror:


medalj1
(Yes, there is a Norwegian flag in the bathroom, why shouldn't there be?)

Some things struck me: It fits really well! The yarn, a superwash wool/nylon blend, is really bouncy and soft. The other thing was that it would probably look really good as a pullover, too. (Also, pullovers don't have button bands - but more on that later...) As a result I have decided to make a pullover from another pattern-heavy sweater in the book. More on that .... sometime.

 Tuesday evening I had gotten to the neckline. The neckline is deeper in the front, so stitches are put aside and the shoulders are worked back and forth. If you are anything like me, you know that stranded purling is the worst. Not only is there a lot of purling, which of course is a hassle - but you have to keep the floats in front of the knitting and how does one assert Yarn Dominance when purling anyway? Who knows? Normally, I just cast on for a new steek and continue my merry way, but I would like to minimise steekage on this sweater, so I decided to try something completely new to me: knitting backwards, or from left to right.

A few weeks ago I discussed this technique with a fellow member in my sewing group. Essentially, it is just like normal knitting, only left-handed. Unfortunately I am extremely right-handed and it proved difficult. I tried both continental (my preferred) and English (because then I would have the yarn in my left hand), but it was so difficult. Granted, I did not try so hard. I am very impatient. Instead, I put the stitch from the right needle to the left needle, and knit it normally, with the right needle. Then I transferred it back to the left needle. It actually went quite well.

There are many tutorials on how to knit backwards on youtube, whether you knit continental or English (or combined, but that's a style I do not know!); I'm definitely not good at explaining.

This leaves the last part of the finishing, which is most tedious one, by far: making the button bands.

Most of the sweater patterns I have knit in the past usually have you pick up the stitches along front of the body, making the button bands perpendicular to the knitting overall, but on this one you knit the button bands like this:


medalje3

And sewing it onto the sweater as it gets finished. It does look very nice and clean, but it takes a long time. Right now I am a bit over halfway on the first button band, but hopefully I will get done soon-ish.

Maybe I will be done by next Wednesday ;)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar